Featured Post

Once Again How to Live Under A Morally Unqualified President!

Image
Reader what a good timing for a re-post. Pastor John Piper posted this article on January 20, 2017 and got a lot of backlash....but it's even more comforting today. Let us continue to pray for love to reign in our country - the love of God and our neighbor, not the love of power, pride, money or anything else. They will know we are Christians by our love.

“Donald Trump treats language — the medium of truth — as a wax nose to be bent and molded to create a desired outcome, whether it corresponds to the truth or not.”

The Making Of A Tradition In The Black Church: The Tag-team Preaching Of Rev. Otis Moss lll and Otis Moss Jr.


Reader good Friday morning to everyone, I 'm praying that everyone reading this post will have a wonderful and awesome day in the precious name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 

Like I've stated before in this space I grew up in the construct of the old black church and its teaching. I would not take anything from my journey nor experience, thus far. I don't have a clue in the world  where the phrase "tag team preaching" (preaching a sermon together) originated from but I do know it's been around and a part of the makeup of the old church for as long as I can remember. When I stumble upon the following article it brought back great memories of some powerful "tag team preaching."

About 15 years ago, the Rev. Otis Moss III invited his father, the Rev. Otis Moss Jr., to tag-team preach with him on Father’s Day. The tradition began at Tabernacle Baptist Church in Augusta, Ga., and shifted when the 46-year-old preacher transferred to Chicago’s Trinity United Church of Christ. His father, 82, pastor emeritus of Olivet Institutional Baptist Church in Cleveland, is a civil rights veteran who marched in the 1960s with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

RNS, spoke to both father and son, whose churches are predominantly African-American, about their tag-team preaching, the state of the black church and what it means to pass the baton from one to the other.

Comments

  1. I watched a YouTube video of the these two men and it was a dialogue between father and son during the sermon. It was a powerful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this practice in action. Nothing but another creative way to entertain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And sometimes the preachers compete to see who can outpreach the other. All things we do should be pure. No taint in God's true saints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't need theatrics where one preacher tries to out preach another like it is some type of competition. This is another example of black church foolishness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Ann,

    Tag team to me references the foolish wrestling acts.

    I haven't seen tag team preaching and I didn't think much of it other than another creative way to keep the collection plates filled.

    And by what Mr. Thomas and the two anonymous' above have said, they confirm my conclusion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Drags Racist Gospel Singer Vicki Yohe After Pro-Trump/Anti-Women's March Statement!

Minister Louis Farrakhan Has Come Out The Closet As A Christian, I Know That My Redeemer Liveth My Jesus is Alive.

The Vicki Yohe Aplogy: I Must Be Reading A Whole Different Apology From Everyone Else!!!

Why Are Professing Christians Defending and Co-signing Snoop Dogg Gospel Project??

I am Done With Vicki Yohe And Shame On Her For Blasting The WORD NETWORK Over Minister Louis Farrakhan.

Prophet Brian Carn, Dr. Earl Carter, Bishop Ronzel Pretlow, Response To Apostle Matthew Stevenson's Commentary!

Stop It, Pastor Steven Furtick Did Not Sign A 6-Year, $110 Million Contract To Preach At Lakewood Church!

Ex Pastor LEAVES THE CHURCH And Says The Bible Isn't Real???

Will The Removal Of Senior Pastor Chris Hill Bring Harm To Bishop T.D.Jakes Brand!?!??!