Google+ Followers


Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Is The Christian Church Marketing Not Working? Athletes Have More Influence Than The God Man!?!?!?

Is Christian Church Marketing not working? The Barna Group, a market research firm that specializes in studying religious beliefs among Americans and how they impact faith and culture, recently released a study claiming that athletes have more influence than pastors. An estimated two-thirds of Americans- about 64 percent- believe that professional athletes influence people in American society more than professional faith leaders, according to the report released on the Barna Group website.

What's going on here? I'm not one bit surprised at this new finding at all. We live in a celebrity obsessed culture. Last year Jesus Tim Tebow drew a crowd of about 15,000 to an outdoor Easter church service. Why?  The comment below is a powerful one for me.
"I’m sure there are many reasons for the trend of decreasing influence of pastors. No doubt some of them are self-inflicted. What strikes me most is that we are living at a time when the Christian Church markets itself more than ever. There are more programs than ever before in history. There are more efforts to be “relevant” than ever before. Christians have plenty of churches, music groups, advertising, t-shirts, bumper stickers, and mega-church pastors. We should be making a huge impact. Never has the Christian Church in America tried harder, yet we seem to be less influential in our culture than ever before. We’re trying to be more but experiencing less. Church membership is in decline. The people in the pews aren’t even as accepting of all of the church’s doctrines as they used to be– or at least they’re more open about it than people used to be".


  1. Ray Lewis may be a man of God, who happens to play football.

  2. I am not surprised or impressed. In fact I am discouraged. I believe that if I was searching for a church home, a leader to lead (knowing full well that he or she can not get me to heaven), I doubt that I would make any effort of following. I know there are many good people who just happen to have a open door profession here almost everything they do is being noted and detailed and they are Christian. That is good if they keep in proper prospective and balance. By all mean go build the kingdom. My issue is that with everything that is going on, people are hungry, homeless, jobless and faithless right in the church yet we have Pastors, our Leaders running all over the world focusing not on their flock. My main issue is that a church leader should take care of his home plate before anything else. What I mean by home plate, the church he or she is presiding over. His or her flock. I do not agree so much with all the publicized fame, in my opinion, all of that takes away from the true mission why God came down to earth in the form of man, Jesus. To go out into all the world and preach the gospel, to reach a sick and tormented world. Just the thinker in me. Thank you for the post.

  3. "Christian Marketing," and gimmicks have replaced the power of the Holy Spirit. That is the problem. Too many pastors have relied on and are still leaning on the arm of the flesh instead of relying on the Holy Spirit to "add to the church daily!"