.

Google+ Followers

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Should Fast Food Purchases Be “subsidized” By Food Stamps?

The Rev. Jerome Sutton says "HECK" no and is speaking out and against  the idea.....The state of Kentucky is lobbying  to allow restaurants to accept food stamps which would make it one of the few states that allows restaurants to accept food stamps.

Food stamps are now processed on what's called an EBT card, and that's what's being proposed to be used in fast-food restaurants for some of Louisville's disabled, homeless and elderly.
Sorry but the idea “fast food for food stamps” I find the whole thing to be a bad idea. I have to agree with Rev. Sutton here.  I understand that the target beneficiaries are the elderly and disabled. I just can't  see how this can benefit anyone. 

Many of them are already afflicted with numerous medical conditions. Imagine a daily KFC Double Down is just going to magnify those problems. What’s even more disturbing is that it’s most likely easier to get to a KFC or any other fast food joint than it is to an actual grocery store.

I also agree with the comment that  "the food stamps will run out twice as fast on fast food than it will on market items"
Please Share it! :)

Widgets

Show Comments: OR

3 comments :

  1. In KY...yeah this tickled me a bit when I heard about it a few months ago. Kinda reminds me when we finally got our student ids in college to purchase from major off campus food chains like Subway or Papa Johns. I don't know what I think about it, but it was an evil day when fast food starting taking credit/debit cards - half my monthly statement is sweet teas (cause I don't eat mcDs after 'supersize me')! The population accessing food subsidies and assistant is so diverse, I can see pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @LaPreghiera thanks for your comment. I don't think it's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In KY...yeah this tickled me a bit when I heard about it a few months ago. Kinda reminds me when we finally got our student ids in college to purchase from major off campus food chains like Subway or Papa Johns. I don't know what I think about it, but it was an evil day when fast food starting taking credit/debit cards - half my monthly statement is sweet teas (cause I don't eat mcDs after 'supersize me')! The population accessing food subsidies and assistant is so diverse, I can see pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete