Google+ Followers


Sunday, December 12, 2010

How Can Christians Explain Santa Claus To Their Children?

Can the "Santa Claus" story cause a child to disbelieve in God? Can a Christian parent become a stumbling block to their own child's faith? Are some parents teaching their children to place Santa Claus in a godlike position  as one who can grant all their requests?
I believe it's possible for a child to learn to distrust a parent when they realizes that Santa Claus is a lie.....I believe when we answer "How does Santa get in our house if we don't have a chimney?" or "How can a big fat man fit down that small opening? with a lie when children are old enough to grasp the truth, he or she may think, "Santa's a lie, so the stories about Jesus must be a lie, too."

 Mark Driscoll who's one of America's most prominent young Christian voices who describes himself as "a nobody trying to tell everybody about Somebody who can save anybody....."Driscoll says Christians have three options when it comes to dealing with cultural issues like Santa....We can either reject it, receive it, or redeem it....I tend to agree with Driscoll that the third option is best....As Christian parents we should tell our kids Christmas is about the birth of the Savior, not Santa Claus....every since I can remember most  little children have unintentional worship Santa Claus as the reason for the season....So, what do you tell your kids about Santa Claus?


  1. I do not believe it is ever wise to ignore something, whether we believe in it or not, especially when we know that children are curious and will have questions. In explaining Santa, what I have done is bring him down to the "good works" level and explain him in a way that is appropriate to a child's understanding. I tell them that Jesus, as the savior of the world, set the example of doing good works and left us a command to do good. I tell them that there are many people who try to do good works and santa is one way they try to accomplish that. I tell them that santa is not "magical" or all powerful or all knowing, but that people trying to do good works all over the world work very hard to do good works to help boys and girls.

  2. @Bluebutterfly,thanks for your comment and I agree.

  3. Hey Lady! It's been a while, hope you've been well.
    Since my children were small I've always told them the truth. Santa is fictional, a story, that some parents have told their children for years. But I do let them know that Saint Nicholas was a real person who did give toys to the poor children, and feed the homeless. And this is who Santa Claus is supposedly fashioned after.
    My children know the true meaning of Christmas, and they also know that I was the one buying all the gifts!! but the ULTIMATE gift came from God in the form of JESUS CHRIST our Savior.

  4. When I was a kid I had a strong belief in Santa. I loved the story of St. Nick who wanted all kids to have a gift to celebrate Christmas. Santa was St. Nick who magically continued to deliver gifts from his sleigh. I always thought it was through God that Santa was able to do his work. It was fantasy and fun and added to the beauty of the holidays. The Christmas story of Mary and Jesus was what it was all about, Santa never interfered with that at all. When I found there was no Santa, it never occurred to me that it was a lie or that there was no Jesus. It was just growing up and the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny along with Santa are just childhood joys to remember.

  5. Hello Ann,

    Well, on this issue, I believe I am riding with Jackie. In fact, I write a column for a local newspaper and this topic just happens to be the core of my next submission. So, here's what I did. I took parts of your post and combined it with my column. Then I posted the combination on my blog (today). I called it Robbing Our Children