.

Google+ Followers

Friday, November 12, 2010

What Does The Bible Say About Overeating?


You know gluttony is a sin most Christians love  to ignore...it's usually the obvious sin because it's the easy one to spot but not always obvious.

What is gluttony? one Bible dictionary defines a glutton as one habitually given to greedy and voracious eating...to be voracious means to be exceedingly eager....to be called a glutton is not a nice thing....a glutton person was given to loose and excessive living.....in the NT it was used to describe a rascal or scoundrel who had a uncontrolled or excessive fondness for some specified object or pursuit.

Now we Christians are quick to point out other smoking ,drinking, sex before marriage,homosexuality,adultery etc sins....but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated....WHY? gluttony is  more than food....a glutton is one who craves food but a glutton is also any person who is craving for something to satisfy his soul...not all gluttons are obese or even overweight...me, myself and I have fallen to gluttony many times in the past and still do today....but the times I remember being a glutton is more connected with Sunday dinners at Fannie Mom's  house.....I remember anxiously waiting for Sunday dinner.... so I could gorge myself out at her dinner table....but I know the day I can develop the ability to say “no” to sugar anything in excess i have achieve self-control...which is one of the fruits of the Spirit that should be common to all believers.

Question: Do you struggle with this "sin"?What do you crave in life? What do you desire more than anything else? What satisfies your soul's appetite? Is it food, is it drink? Is women? Is it men?  Is it work? It is so easy for a man to work long hours to feel important or to escape the problems in his marriage. Is it recognition? is it acceptance? Is it a sport or hobby you can loose yourself in?
Please Share it! :)

Widgets

Show Comments: OR

4 comments :

  1. Thanks, Ann, for addressing this. Balance, I believe, is that principle in the Bible most of us miss. We have to hold ourselves accountable. My method for this, to maintain self-control, was to HONESTLY keep track of what I ate AND what I drank. I quickly found that I was drinking WAY TO MANY HIGH-SUGAR DRINKS daily, and have been on the path to change that.

    Excess is not good. Even good foods (Avocados, olive oil, etc.) is not good in excess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bluebutterfly thanks for the comment...I have a love for anything sweet that's my weakness...I also agree it comes down to control and balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gluttony is a sin. Any damned fool can eat themselves to death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for accepting my friend request. Here is my website and to let you know that I am a serious Christian. God BLess all your work for the Lord.
    ATTENTION ALL WHO HAVE AN EAR TO HEAR. THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY
    IS GIVING FORTH THE CALL FOR REPENTANCE REVOLUTION TO ALL MEN
    AND THIS INCLUDES ALL HUMANKIND. PLEASE PAY HEED FOR IT IS HIS TIME OF
    MERCY LEST MORE OF HIS WRATH BE BESTOWED UPON THIS NATION AND ALL
    THE NATIONS OF THE EARTH. IT IS THE CALL TO ALL, INCLUDING CATHOLICS,
    PROTESTANTS,
    AND ALL RELIGIOUS AND NON-RELIGIOUS PEOPLES.
    REPENTANCE REVOLUTION
    If you die and go to hell, you’ll look back on your earthly life now in great regret. NOW is the time to change things before it is too late! NOW is the time to tell your family and others to REPENT.
    Looking back on your week, how many precious opportunities slipped through your fingers to witness about salvation or at least hand out salvation literature? Our days are dark and desperate. Many people are without hope and many others have a false hope. People need ETERNAL TRUTH. They need God’s word. You are to be LIGHT in your area!
    Friend of Jesus Christ and desperate to introduce him to others.
    www.aggressivechristianity.net

    ReplyDelete