.

Google+ Followers

Monday, February 8, 2010

Hooping And The Black Church.

Hooping and the black church go together like a hand  in a glove..I believe  hooping is as much  a part of  the black church makeup as anything else....You can go into any Black Baptist or Pentecostal Churches on any given Sunday and here"hooping"....hooping is when the words of the preacher begins taking on a musical quality.
I have learn through my research.... that the song quality of hooping is a legacy of long-ago African griot, or storytellers...

Rev. Nathan Dell, who teaches preaching, or homiletics, at the Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology at Virginia Union University in Richmond. "They memorized the history of the tribe and it was their task to teach the community," Dell said. "They told the story in ways that could be remembered, in ways that would move folks' heart as well as inform their minds." Enslaved Africans brought that tradition to America, and free black pastors adapted it to preaching. "They had no formal education, but they preached in the style of their tradition which had a rhythmic quality to it and a feeling or emotional quality to it," Dell said.
Please Share it! :)

Widgets

Show Comments: OR

4 comments :

  1. Very interesting post, Ann! Hooping 101. Waaeell, I got to say that when it comes to Hoopin' it's better when a natural born preacher does it! Then it's not about the hoopin' but about the sermon! I don't listen to a sermon for the hoopin' but for the sermon and the hoopin' just helps the sermon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. informative kisura brock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe that hooping has its purpose. However, I think it can be a bit much at times. As a man, fervor is always appreciated but I know sometimes I rather hear a preacher speak clearly and distinct, so that I fully understand what is being taught and not get caught up in being "dazzled". Ask 20 people what Sunday's sermon was about and at least of half of them will not be able to convey what was spoken. It may have its tradition historically, but i hear Christ saying "the traditions of men bring the word of God to no effect". Just my opinion on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe that hooping has its purpose. However, I think it can be a bit much at times. As a man, fervor is always appreciated but I know sometimes I rather hear a preacher speak clearly and distinct, so that I fully understand what is being taught and not get caught up in being "dazzled". Ask 20 people what Sunday's sermon was about and at least of half of them will not be able to convey what was spoken. It may have its tradition historically, but i hear Christ saying "the traditions of men bring the word of God to no effect". Just my opinion on the matter.

    ReplyDelete