Google+ Followers


Sunday, January 10, 2010

Holy Communion Services And The Black Church.

Today is my church first Holy Communion Services for the year...My church family usual observe this precious time once a month...I am thinking about the songs we use to sing during the services many years ago:
(1) I know it was His blood
( 2) When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
(3) At Calvary
(4) The Blood Will Never Lose Its Power
(5) Behold the Lamb
I finding out even today that most African American churches still sing these old songs...Which are call “blood songs.” These songs, even old, still allows the congregation as a whole to focus on the magnitude of the death of Christ....And at the same time they are reminding us that our ancestors spilled their own blood in their effort for freedom....I believe this is one of the reason I hold Communion Services in such high honors...As African American its like we are lock step with a Savior who was oppressed in his quest to gain humanity’s freedom....Jesus is indeed our High Priest who shares our sorrow and knows our grief. Question: Do your church have a communion services? If so, how often? Which hymns are songs during services?


No comments:

Post a Comment