- What makes a song worldly?
- Is it how you sing it?
- Is it what you're thinking when you sing it?
- Is it who you're singing it to?
- Can you take something worldly and reclaiming it for God's glory?
- Is all worship acceptable to God?
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
But for someone new to the workforce, or just desperate for a job, temporary employment can seem like a viable option... It means guaranteed hours for a set amount of time.
The study found that temporary workers are more likely to be depressed than their full-time counterparts, and that the disparity increases over time. Using data from the U.S. National Survey of Youth between 1992 and 2002, researchers identified that temp employees, on average, suffered from two additional signs of depression than regular workers. And employees who continued to work temp jobs four years after initially being surveyed were even more likely to become depressed, leading researchers to believe that the strains of temp work accumulate over time.
Hiring temporary workers is usually considered a boon for employers looking to trim expenses, because temp workers are paid lower salaries and represent a smaller commitment on the part of the employer. The truth of the matter is companies love temp workers cause they can hire them at lower pay and no benefits.... Working with no benefits like insurance or paid vacation as well as job insecurity is bound to make any one depressed...I know some one will say; at least they have a job... True! they might have a job for today but they don't have job security big difference...I walk with my husband through this over a year ago when the job market first took a dive...Believe me it's not easy on a man who's accustomed to taking care of his family.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Sunday, September 27, 2009
- Sister & Brother: Growing up, any adult person in the congregation was always referred to by their last name.
- Testimony Service: It doesn’t happen much anymore, but in years past, almost every Sunday service (or Sunday evening service) saw testimony service, which was the congregants chance to sing their own song or tell about some particular thing God had done for them that week, or even ask a prayer request.
- Shouting: And by shouting I mean running down the aisles, dancing with abandon, jumping up and down, and of course actually shouting. It is a spontaneous joyful response to God in worship; and expression of being touched by the Spirit. You could run, jump, yell, fall out on the floor and it was contagious. If one rejoiced, others would join in – jumping feet first into the flow of the Spirit and allow themselves to be carried away. Everyone who shouted had their own preferred style
- Let the church say amen: I miss the “Amens” and “Say that” and “You preaching now, doc,” that accompany almost every good sermon... The single hand lifted by a church mother signifying her agreement with the sermon, the brother standing up in the middle of the sermon pointing at the preacher, the loud cries of “yeah!” echoing through the sanctuary make the sermon so much more than just …
- Preaching: Now don’t get me wrong. I enjoy my pastor’s sermons. They are thoughtful, articulate, theologically sound and generally edifying. BUT… there is just nothing quite like good old school Black Pentecostal preaching.( E Dewey Smith )
- Music: I didn’t want to say this one, because people always say this about the Black church, and it gets a little annoying. But I do miss the music.
Friday, September 25, 2009
"Because employees are often seen as role models by the church congregation, it is especially important that employees uphold the tenets of faith of the church," Asiatico said. "When an employee is unwilling to accept the church's counsel or unwilling to uphold the tenets of faith of the church, the employment relationship is no longer tenable."...Jackson and her husband, became so impressed with Revealing Truth Ministries that six years ago they moved from Haines City to Tampa to be closer to the congregation...Revealing Truth is a predominantly black ministry with its main campus at 5201 N. Armenia Ave...Pastor Gregory Powe leads the ministry and his wife, Deborah, who is the CFO. Article Here!
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Monday, September 21, 2009
Sunday, September 20, 2009
I’m gonna trust in the Lord
I’m gonna trust in the Lord
I’m gonna trust in the Lord till I die
I’m gonna trust in the Lord
I’m gonna trust in the Lord, till I die
I am gonna stay on the battlefield…
Whose going down in the grave with me…
Jesus going down in the grave with me.
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
There are lots of reasons apologizing are hard for some because it's a blow to the egos...Second we are admitting weakness....Third it puts the other person in a position of power and makes us feel vulnerable... And then there are those who are in total denial completely: if I don't acknowledge I did anything wrong, the thinking goes, I must not have done anything wrong....As anyone who has been on the receiving end of bad behavior will tell you I am sorry is crucial.
- Do You Have a Hard Time Apologizing?
- Even when you're wrong?
- If you are wrong is it easy for you to own up to it and apologize?
Monday, September 14, 2009
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Friday, September 11, 2009
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
legendary diva Whitney Houston is gracing the cover of Ebony’s October ‘09 issue...Which is set to hit stores on today.... The singer’s new album ‘I Look To You’ was released Aug 31st. Whitney reveals to the magazine that her faith in God is what helped her to pull through during testing times...She also mention how she stayed out of the public eye to spend time with her mother and raise her 16-year-old daughter Bobbi Kristina (“I was just ready to lay back and raise my daughter and just watch her grow and nurture her. And my mother’s getting older. I wanted to spend more time with my mom [because during] most of my 20s and 30s, I was dealing with making records and traveling the world and being this thing, icon, you know - whatever this has turned into”). More importantly, she effectively used that time to battle her demons (drugs & deadbeat ex-hubby Bobby Brown)…I’m really happy I am one who is happy that Ms. Houston is getting her act together.... Whitney seems to be buzzing with this new lease on life...Her new album may not be that great but I still want to see her thrive and win....The thing with brokenness is not so much our circumstances, but our response...What is God trying to teach us?..True brokenness is when Jesus strips us of self-sufficiency to the extent that we've no strength left to fix ourselves...When Jesus blocks every exit we try to take and we come to see that He alone is our answer, we make a life changing discovery... "And what's that you ask.... When Jesus is all you have Jesus is all you need! Bottom line: God's power is reserved for those who have given up trying to do it in their own strength or to accomplish it for their own ends. "PS" in the old church we would call this a testimony!
Monday, September 7, 2009
I did a little research on the origins of Labor Day and according to Wikipedia the holiday originated in Canada.... The first Labor Day in the United States was celebrated in 1882 in New York City.... It wasn’t a federal holiday until after the 1894 Pullman Strike, but ever since then it’s been celebrated on the first Monday in September...Either way enjoy your day...I am on my way to the mall to get some of those end of summer sales.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
- Sow a seed!
- Turn to your neighbor & say…
- God don’t bless no mess!
- God don’t like ugly!
- God helps those who help themselves!
- Praise yo way thru it!
- When the praises go up the blessings come down!
- God hates sin, not the sinner!
- Who’s your spiritual covering?
- I’ll pray for you!
- No one’s perfect!
- Touch not God’s anointed!
- He who is without sin cast the first stone!
- Don’t judge!
- I’m coming’ out!
- It’s not over til God says it’s over!
- God ain't through with me yet!
- You don’t know my story!
- No test, no testimony!
- I plead the blood!
- The devil is a liar & the truth ain't in him!
- Even the devil knows the bible!
- God knows my heart!
- I feel the anointing!
- I’m blessed & highly favored!
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
"Sometimes I am walking with my daughter, I'm talking to my daughter, I'm looking at her, I'm pushing her in the stroller. And sometimes I pick her up and I just stare at her and I realize my only job in life is to keep her off the pole. Keep my baby off the pole!"I mean they don't grade fathers but if your daughter is a stripper you f ---- up."