.

Google+ Followers

Followers

Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Importance Of Character!

Michael Jordan was one of the greatest basketball players to ever play the game!” And there’s no denying it...He ruled the air, claimed the victory, and his induction into the Hall of Fame, on September 11th , proved his greatness... But when I ran across his induction speech that was post on Youtube it revealed a seemingly unhappy man... (TO ME)...Why watching Jordan’s speech ...I noticed one common theme: Bitterness with a hint of anger.... Jordan took shots at everyone he could think of, even his children...(All I could think as I listened was, “Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips.” (Proverbs 27:2 ESV) It was kinda like he was assuring the listeners how spectacular he was, how important he was, how he alone won the games and built the Bulls Dynasty....What’s strange of course is that Jordan had no reason to say this.... He had already clearly shown how important to the game and the dynasty he was.... So why the speech? I can only guess, but I think it’s a good guess: Empty and Unsatisfied... Maybe Jordan is like a lot of us reflecting on our life and realizing that we have not lived our life for Jesus...I don't know what’s going on with Jordan, maybe he’s just becoming a bitter middle-aged man having a hard time transiting to the next phase of life...I don't know! but there’s no denying that if basketball or whatever is your life, when the game ends you have nothing left. All our idols, all our gods and some friends will leave us only Jesus will be true....Question:Could Jordan’s underlying obsession with competition and winning made him bitter and angry?Here's an analysis of Jordan’s and Robinson’s induction speeches....There's nothing more important than character...No matter how rich or successful you become, when you lose your character you've lost everything.
Please Share it! :)

Widgets

Show Comments: OR

12 comments :

  1. I thought Voddie Baucham's post was excellent. My husband and I talked about the difference between Michael Jordan's and David Robinson's acceptance speeches at the time. Jordan does seem like a sad, empty man.

    I guess Solomon was right. It is vanity, apart from a relationship with Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I wouldn't have believe this of Mike! It seems the more we have the worst we can feel IF we put all our faith in the "stuff"! It's all idolatry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--this is deep!
    That was my team back in the day and I loved me some Scottie Pippen. But you are right about how Michael is responding. There is something about him that shows he's not that self-aware, like he hasn't matured and evolved.

    I'm from Buffalo and Jim Kelly was THE quarterback in the day. He was cocky and brash. But when he retired and his son was born with a fatal disease, his priorities changed. And you saw how he had been tried by fire and changed in his NKL Hall of Fame of speech.

    Mike hasn't had that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike's speech was quite egotistical for sure. As a Chicagoan and Bulls fan he has never disapointed. As a MJ fan he had us fooled. He is not the wonderful family man he pretended to be. He was not above the antics of so many womanizer players as he pretended he was. Mike seems to not be fullfilled even with all his accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What did any of us expect? Here is a man who refused to speak out against the racist rhetoric of a well known southern politician for fear that it would make a negative impact on his shoe sales. Speaking of shoe sales he uses his name to market over priced mostly plastic sneakers to urban kids (and others) that they cannot afford. What has he endorsed other than himself for his entire career?

    His daughter alleged that their father molested/raped her and the family aligned with the father. His mother tossed the daughter out of the house after assaulting and berating her. I'd say he is a product of a very wounded and bitter tree. His career was stellar but his heart seems dark. "What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?" I lost respect for Jordan years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't hear his ego as pronounced as his competitive spirit. What I heard was him highlighting, and thanking, the many many people who've added the metaphorical logs to his burning drive.

    One.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should have written that it was Michael Jordan's sister who accused their father of sexual abuse. I regret the error and any subsequent confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't hear his ego as pronounced as his competitive spirit. What I heard was him highlighting, and thanking, the many many people who've added the metaphorical logs to his burning drive.

    One.

    ReplyDelete