.

Google+ Followers

Followers

Friday, July 24, 2009

Racism And The Church!

We must acknowledge that racism and prejudice exist among Christians before we can rid ourselves of its stench. By posting this article I am acknowledge that racism and prejudice exist. Now, Jimmy Carter, was a part of The Southern Baptist for over 60 years . During that time he had no problem praying in a “White-only” church even while he was President. Most people are aware that Southern Baptists are known for their Biblical belief concerning certain things . Like I've stated he's the same Carter, whose Christian conscience never bothered him during his presidency for supporting and praying with a group of racist Christians, who would not allow Black Christians to join with them on Sunday morning worship. But now he has become a vocal voice for women’s rights. I believe in honesty; When Mr. Carter was in power he should have spoke up over the treatment of blacks back then. I am for civil rights for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

The question for Carter -- and for others who find themselves at odds with their church or denomination: When the group you're deeply involved in starts to move away from your own core beliefs, do you stay and try to change from within or, at some point, do you have to look for the exit?
Please Share it! :)

Widgets

Show Comments: OR

6 comments :

  1. Excellent post Ann. You have a knack for tapping on our brains and making us think.
    I can imagine growing up in or belonging to a church for many years and then realizing or ignoring that it has some flaws that go against your own core beliefs. I've been there and I never tried to change it from within. If I'd seen any support at all I may have but it was not to be. I applaud those who try. Before joining my church I talked with the ministers and went for a while before joining. I would feel comfortable working from within if such a situation came up at University Church (UCC).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie thanks for your comment. I think it's better to work from within if possible. You no sometimes that won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that if the differences become too wide to where you are condemning certain behaviors, tehn the exit must occur! For instance, there was a church I used to belong to. The Pastor was a great man, but his kids were too much! The son was doing ALL kinds of inappropriate things to the young males of the church-all while we were shouting and praising every Sunday! When stories started coming out, we were told that these were all attacks from people who did not want to see the church prosper. I agreed until a close friend of mine was treated the same way by the son. When I approached the Pastor, I was told he will grow out of it! I got my stuff and ran as fast as I could because this was the breaking point for me! I thank God that I have found a good church today without these horrible problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Racism permeates our societal roots like a marinade. It only stands to reason that racism and hypocrisy would exist in the church, just like it exists everywhere else in our society. Oh it's not supposed to, but it does.

    If you remember, the Klan has attempted again and again to identify itself with the church. It's sad that even churches can't get beyond this. If the churches can't do it, why are we surprised to see society as a whole struggling with the issue of race?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie,

    It is amazing to me how fast some of our church folks are in pointing out the bigotry of the Southern Baptist denomination and just ask them how often THEIR church has had white ministers preaching...or how many white churches that their church has collaborated with...

    You will hear crickets chirping....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie,

    It is amazing to me how fast some of our church folks are in pointing out the bigotry of the Southern Baptist denomination and just ask them how often THEIR church has had white ministers preaching...or how many white churches that their church has collaborated with...

    You will hear crickets chirping....

    ReplyDelete