.

Google+ Followers

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pain And Suffering!

I stumbled upon this photograph while reading Time Magazine online...What an awful photo... I can't imagine someone taking a photo of this, stick-thin, malnourished toddler who stopped to rest on her way to a feeding station in war-torn Sudan... The picture was taken by South African photojournalist Kevin Carter...It shows the girl on her knees, bent at the waist with her forehead resting on the dry, dusty dirt....She is alone except for a vulture behind her, waiting for her to die.

This picture captivated the world in 1993 and won a Pulitzer Prize in 1994. A few months later, Carter taped a garden hose to the exhaust of his pick-up truck and fed the other end into the passenger side window...Broke and depressed over the loss of a friend, his suicide note read, in part, “I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings & corpses & anger & pain . . . of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners . . . “To me this photo says more about the photographer, than the famine in Sudan. It should never have won the Pulitzer.

The photo was published in The New York Times in March of 1993, and sparked a wide reaction. People wanted to know what happened to the child, and if Carter had assisted her... The Times issued a statement saying that the girl was able to make it to the food station, but beyond that no one knows what happened to her... Because of this, Carter was bombarded with questions about why he did not help the girl, and only used her to take a photograph.

Please Share it! :)

Widgets

Show Comments: OR

16 comments :

  1. I remember this photo and how it saddened me.. It really bothered me that people made negative comments about the photographer and if he assisted the girl. People really bother me expecting other people to do what they won't do themselves. Now the photographer was white so had he attempted to adopt the girl and bring her back to the states to care for he would be lambasted for that. This photo says nothing about the photographer for me except the fact that he is a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think dude was wrong for taking this pic. This pic and many others should be in the news everyday. Instead of focusing on what this guy did, pressure should be put on the international community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim for your comment and I agree some of those comments were brutal.

    Rippa thanks for your comment...He wasn't wrong for taking the photo because he won a Pulitzer ...but the question still remains why didn't he help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann

    That photographer took his own life shortly after winning the pulitzer. I can't imagine seeing the death, sickness and despair and having those images burned in your mind and not have it affect you. I think he did help.. I can't imagined how many people were moved by the photo and prompted to do something

    ReplyDelete
  5. This photo is most deserving of a Pulitzer prize winner if ever there was one. Winning the Pulitzer is not just about the subject matter but the artistry and composition of the photo and the effect it has. This is heartbreaking and this photo speaks a million words more dynamically than any speech or news report ever could. I know that it not only informed millions who did not know this kind of hunger exists, but spurred thousands to take action and give more to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still think he took the cowardly way out. Why didn't he actually do something instead of running away?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Jackie... but only to a certain extent...at what point does the macabre become respected artistry?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are we as a people doing to help our bretheren in the Sudan? Can we forske rims and bling and CD's and expensive cars for a little while to assist financially. Can we rally and place political pressure on the gov't to take care of Africa like they take care of Israel?

    Can the black church do something other than raise money for new benches and carpets and fellowship halls? Can the church stop focusing on the fake prosperity gospel and go and be missionaries to help Black africa? Can we stop making gods of our leaders and making them rich while ignoring a lost and dying world? NOONE should ask the photographer a thing. I thnak him for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Post Script,

    I'd sure like to see the fake prosperity gospel people go and preach those lies to this girl and her kin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well now everyone hear complaining can pick up where he left off and DO SOMETHING.. And be sure to let us all know what you are doing i can't wait to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Personally, I support a program that works to end the suffering in the Sudan sponsored by ministers in Boston, in case your reference was directed to me. Will you also be sharing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. If my reference was directed to you I would have greeted you. Read my post again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry to have misread your post. I thought the "he" was in reference to the photographer. Please forgive.

    peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Post Script,

    I'd sure like to see the fake prosperity gospel people go and preach those lies to this girl and her kin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Personally, I support a program that works to end the suffering in the Sudan sponsored by ministers in Boston, in case your reference was directed to me. Will you also be sharing?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Jackie... but only to a certain extent...at what point does the macabre become respected artistry?

    ReplyDelete