The Symbol Of Racism And Hate.

I was born and raise in LA (lower Alabama) and for what every reason there might be I can't help but associate the Confederate flag with hate groups (i.e skin heads, KKK)... Every hate group I have ever seen or heard about uses the Confederate flag as their symbol, in some kinda way.
There are two sides to every story and for every person that see the Confederate flag as honorable, there are those that see it as a symbol of hate.. I see it as a symbol of hate but also as a symbol of free speech...But I often wonder whenever the klan started using the Confederate flag as their symbol, WHY in the hell didn't the Daughters of the Confederacy and others who love the confederate flag object, protest, or speak out? I'm just curious...Anyway several Confederate flags placed on the graves of Civil War soldiers got pulled up last week by a black Auburn city councilman, who called them symbols of racism and hatred....While I do agree that many people use the Confederate flag and it's image in a racist manner but I don't think it was the councilman's place to remove the flags... Now the flags were on private property so he could have complained to the grounds keepers about the flags Again I don't know the full story, but it sound as if the woman who placed the flags did so in a way to bring honor to the dead, not to promote racism... I can't know that for sure, though, since I don't know her and didn't encounter the situation firsthand. I think the flags would've been a bit more appropriate/less questionable if this would've been a Confederate cemetery, but from reading the article, I can see it wasn't... Still, I feel this situation should be treated the same way as if somebody stole flowers or any other memorabilia off a grave... The councilman is entitled to his beliefs and convictions, but they should not be displayed by removing something off a person's grave.


Comments

  1. Hey JJ,
    I agree that the flag is a symbol of hatred but to remove them was not the best course of action cause the councilman hindered the right to express (free expression). That's a good right.

    There were Black free soldier who fought on the side of the Confederacy as well. Check it out!
    Jaycee

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mista Jaycee thanks for your comment and I agree the councilman was wrong and thanks for that point about the black free soldier who fought for the south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds of the time years ago when Spike Lee did the Malcom X movie. Everybody was wearing X shirts and hats. Well one day at an amusement park I saw a white guy with a hat in that said, "You wear your X, I'll wear mine". His was the confederate flag. I didn't like it, but it was his hat and his message.

    Same with these flags.

    Would LA be Mobile?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Slc thanks for your comment...No I am from Dothan Al.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say that as a female growing up in the north, visiting FL was a trip. My friends wanted to stop at a veggie stand that featured a prominent confederate flag and felt it was okay. Yes, the friends were white.

    My point is that they are not displayed as prominently up here in PA and when you do see them you do not take it to be a symbol of pride for the country.

    I believe in freedom of speech too, but this type of display really makes me feel uncomfortable. I wonder if I am alone in my thinking. Or does someone who grew up with that type of display feel less anxiety when they witness such an event.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Drags Racist Gospel Singer Vicki Yohe After Pro-Trump/Anti-Women's March Statement!

Good News: Black Members At Paula White Church Are Leaving Because They Disagree With Her Being A Spiritual Advisor To Trump!!

Minister Louis Farrakhan Has Come Out The Closet As A Christian, I Know That My Redeemer Liveth My Jesus is Alive.

The Vicki Yohe Aplogy: I Must Be Reading A Whole Different Apology From Everyone Else!!!

Why Are Professing Christians Defending and Co-signing Snoop Dogg Gospel Project??

I am Done With Vicki Yohe And Shame On Her For Blasting The WORD NETWORK Over Minister Louis Farrakhan.