Google+ Followers


Monday, December 22, 2008

Are Children A Blessing?

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar have been married 23 years and for 135 months (11.25 years) of that time, Michelle has been pregnant. The couple currently have 17 kids and announced on the Today Show in may that they are expecting another in January of 2009.

The couple are amazingly living debt-free in a 7,000 square-foot home that many of their children helped to build. Everything they do is a family affair, even down to school. The kids are all home-schooled and must learn to play the piano and violin. All of the 17 children have names that start with a “J” and Michelle says that tradition will be continued when baby number 18 is born. They have a show on the Discovery Health channel which chronicles their amazing day to day life. I’m not judging, I merely have a few comments. I’ve watched the show and it seems they are all loved. I’m not sure if it’s fair to have the oldest children taking care of the youngest. It seems a little selfish on the parents part to have the oldest children raising the youngest. Why have more children than you as a mother and father can take care of on your own?

My mom was from a family of ten and so was her mother. Back then I could understand why people had a large family. But now I don't get the reason for the large family. Is it fair to be born with a job? Don’t get me wrong, I think this family is wonderful and beautiful. But I also believe it is the mother and father’s responsibility to raise their children. It just seems strange to see so many nannies (the older children) in one house.


  1. I love, love, love the Duggars. They are debt-free and managing their family well. Neither the parents or the children are a burden to society, all the kids are happy, healthy so I don't know why they receive some of the criticisms they do. I my family the oldest have always helped with the youngest and I think they have enough oldest so that no one is burdened. God Bless them. May they continue to parent well and raise decent human beings.

  2. In this instance...yup - I think children are definitely a blessing!

  3. Yeah I seen this over here in Oz your thoughts are a little like mine.
    Hey, I have enjoyed popping into your Blog I came here via Lionel and all have a wonderful festive season.

  4. Children are always a Blessing. Unfortunately, it is parents that don't always understand this most obvious truth. The Church needs to get to work on the parents, and educate them. Because they have neglected this chore for far too long.
    Brother Warren


"READER", it's a privilege granted by me which allow you the "READER" to leave a comment on this blog, not necessary a "RIGHT". So, PLEASE be RESPECTABLE!