.

Google+ Followers

Followers

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Women With Big Feet.


Jodi Grace is riding a trend: Feet are getting bigger. I will agree with that. I can remember when my feet was a size 9 now I can wear a size 10 and some 10.5. I don't know what happen or why my feet move up a size. My daughter is the same thing, she can wear a size 11 when she use to wear a 10 also. I know that the sizing has change because all the large size in the stores are gone 1st. The small sizes are always left for clearance sale. Why don't stores order more larger size from the start with. So I can find my size when I need new shoes.

A New Specialty Shop Offers Large Shoes For Large Feet.

Jodi Grace is not a big woman, only 5 feet 2 with a proportionate size 7 shoe. But like the market she is addressing, she knows people with big feet.

"When a woman has big feet, all her friends and family know it," said Grace, who in October opened Big Foot, a store that caters to women needing large shoes.


Grace's best friend is a size 12 so she has heard the stories for years about how impossible it is to find stylish shoes for big female feet.



Those who don't know women with big feet think the store is a failure waiting to happen, Grace said; those with big-footed friends think it's a gold mine. Solving this latter group's pain is something like a public service, she said.


"I'm amazed at what's selling," she said. "The frumpy ones are doing 10 times better than I thought they would."

Grace had heard from her friend and others that it's hard for big-footed women to find style, so she deliberately downplayed the "old-lady" shoes. She also didn't think tall women would want heels, but they do. She's also waiting for the colorful sandals to start selling because her research told her big-footed women were tired of buying dull men's sandals and slippers.

Grace is playing on a trend: Feet are getting bigger. Humans generally are getting taller, but women's shoes seem to be growing more rapidly. Shoe stocks are changing, too, she said, perhaps because women now feel freer to buy their correct size instead of squeezing into the mainstream product that is on most shelves.

A hundred years ago, the average American woman wore a 3.5 or a 4, Grace said. The Professional Shoe Fitting Manual says that 60 years later, it was a 5.5 or a 6, then 8 or 8.5 during the 1980s. Now, the average women's size is somewhere in the 9s.

The culture certainly has its examples of big-footed women. According to the Web site feetbytheinch.com, tall women celebrities like Geena Davis, Nicole Kidman, Tyra Banks and Uma Thurman all wear size 11s or bigger. But even Meg Ryan or Paris Hilton at 5-8 clock in with 11s, as does 5-6 Kate Winslet. Her average price point is about $70. I love a nice pair of shoes especially dress shoes. Ladies what about your shoe size, has it changed through the years or stayed about the same?
Please Share it! :)

Widgets

Show Comments: OR

14 comments :

  1. You can definitely get an Amen from me. I proudly wear size 11 shoes and I know all about the ups and downs of shopping for plus-size shoes. That's why I've created a shoe blog,Your Feet Make You Unique created specifically for women who wear sizes 10 and up.

    So, please tell other full-footed women about Your Feet Make You Unique at http://www.yourfeetmakeyouunique.com.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea thank your for the comment and the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! My shoe size is 5 1/2

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn you are one lucky lady. I know you don't have any problems finding pretty shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right,

    I love shoes and I never have problems finding pretty shoes. I get a lot of sample shoes too that stores sell.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn you must be a little tiny person? Any one with a shoe size that small got to be small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole Kidman does not wear a size 11. Celebrity Shoe Size.com verifies their information through celebrity auctions, and they have Kidman at a US 9.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also wear US Size 14 = UK Size 12. I started a blog called http://www.mylovelybigfeetblog.com/

    It caters for women whose feet size is UK Size 8 or above. It covers fashionable shoes in the UK ,Europe and USA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Average size in the 9s for women?? Are you crazy??? That is huge for a girl. The average MAN only wears a size 9 1/2!!! IF what you say is true then women will have bigger feet than men in 20 years..............I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know that the average shoe size for women was a size 9.I always thought the average was a size 7.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thnaks for the blog and it is really very good aand as well as interesting. As for the comment they have made it more interesting but I also want to share my experience that I have gain by visit the link and I have found very interesting information there. If you are also inetrested then you can visit the link.

    ReplyDelete
  12. by Dane Youssef


    OK, I think it’s safe to say (and we can all safely agree) that women live to compare, analyze and over-gloss over everything about their bodies.

    And not just. But their properties. All the stuff they’ve got. Hair, clothes, shoes, makeup, purses, jewelry, etc.

    And as we all know, it can really bring them together…

    People nitpick so god dammed much.

    Yes, I think I have a knowlege of what you're all going through.

    I have taken ballet for several years now and many of the women dancers there constantly go on (too much, in my opinion) with their feet.

    The size, the damage that comes from dancing. How hard it is to find pointe shoes that fit and the damage they cause once you do.

    But I just wanna chime in MY two cents about the whole "woman with man foot epidemic" going on here...

    Now, now ladies... before you get too angry and frustrated about what God gave you...

    While they may not be considered "aesthetically pleasing," they do ACTUALLY serve a purpose.

    Yes, there is a functional side.

    Take this to heart, ladies...


    * Big feet give you secure footing. Like a tree with very deep roots. You don't fall, slip or trip over so easily.

    * Big feet give you athletic ability. To run and anchor you firmly in place.

    * Size DOES matter. But believe me, the majority of men don't really give a damn about size down there(and if they do--they're into it).

    * Big feet help you kick ass. So the next time some schmuck behind a counter gives you a hard time for your feet, clobber them with one.

    * Big feet ARE more functional than fashionable. But DON'T be afraid to paint your nails, wear sandals, get pedicures and run barefoot on the beach.

    * The ballsiest women in the world have feet bigger than they are--Kate Winslet, Neve Campbell, Whoopi Goldberg, Paris Hilton, Geena Davis, Uma Thurman.

    ....and it's not a coincidence.

    Just start demanding that shoe stores start to stock your size. It's your money. It's your business. Write letters. Order online if you have to. Men buy shoes for nessicary.

    Women buy them to live. And have a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

    There are on-line sites. So start surfing.

    And these women are so strong because they can hold their own with the men. Their roots run as deep.

    So look down at your feet (or rather up) and say, "I love who I am. I love the way I was made." And let a tear flow.

    Sincerely yours, Dane Youssef

    ReplyDelete
  13. by Dane Youssef


    OK, I think it’s safe to say (and we can all safely agree) that women live to compare, analyze and over-gloss over everything about their bodies.

    And not just. But their properties. All the stuff they’ve got. Hair, clothes, shoes, makeup, purses, jewelry, etc.

    And as we all know, it can really bring them together…

    People nitpick so god dammed much.

    Yes, I think I have a knowlege of what you're all going through.

    I have taken ballet for several years now and many of the women dancers there constantly go on (too much, in my opinion) with their feet.

    The size, the damage that comes from dancing. How hard it is to find pointe shoes that fit and the damage they cause once you do.

    But I just wanna chime in MY two cents about the whole "woman with man foot epidemic" going on here...

    Now, now ladies... before you get too angry and frustrated about what God gave you...

    While they may not be considered "aesthetically pleasing," they do ACTUALLY serve a purpose.

    Yes, there is a functional side.

    Take this to heart, ladies...


    * Big feet give you secure footing. Like a tree with very deep roots. You don't fall, slip or trip over so easily.

    * Big feet give you athletic ability. To run and anchor you firmly in place.

    * Size DOES matter. But believe me, the majority of men don't really give a damn about size down there(and if they do--they're into it).

    * Big feet help you kick ass. So the next time some schmuck behind a counter gives you a hard time for your feet, clobber them with one.

    * Big feet ARE more functional than fashionable. But DON'T be afraid to paint your nails, wear sandals, get pedicures and run barefoot on the beach.

    * The ballsiest women in the world have feet bigger than they are--Kate Winslet, Neve Campbell, Whoopi Goldberg, Paris Hilton, Geena Davis, Uma Thurman.

    ....and it's not a coincidence.

    Just start demanding that shoe stores start to stock your size. It's your money. It's your business. Write letters. Order online if you have to. Men buy shoes for nessicary.

    Women buy them to live. And have a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

    There are on-line sites. So start surfing.

    And these women are so strong because they can hold their own with the men. Their roots run as deep.

    So look down at your feet (or rather up) and say, "I love who I am. I love the way I was made." And let a tear flow.

    Sincerely yours, Dane Youssef

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can definitely get an Amen from me. I proudly wear size 11 shoes and I know all about the ups and downs of shopping for plus-size shoes. That's why I've created a shoe blog,Your Feet Make You Unique created specifically for women who wear sizes 10 and up.

    So, please tell other full-footed women about Your Feet Make You Unique at http://www.yourfeetmakeyouunique.com.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete