.

Google+ Followers

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Empty Pews!


It may be popular to keep things positive, but is it right? Are Pastors handicapped in the pulpit by limiting the breadth of scripture’s emotions to the uplifting and happy? our mothers taught us that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. But are we in danger of focusing so much on sugar in the American churchs that we neglect to add the medicine? I was listening to a sermon yesterday that had no substance to it at all. So, I ask my self why waste all that time on something that has no benefit.

Do preachers find them selves fleeing from the temptation to people-please? I think so. First,their not ultimately accountable to the people they teach, but to the One in whose name they teach. And secondly, God has not only inspired the content of Scripture, but also the form it takes. Matthew 7:21-23 is a sober warning from Jesus about the danger of missing his kingdom. The form of this passage should also direct the manner in which pastors teach/preach it. After all, God call pastors to preach the word in season and out of season. What do you think have the church lost it's way? Are pastors preaching to please people?
Please Share it! :)

Widgets

Show Comments: OR

5 comments :

  1. That split gospel is a dangerous thing. You have hell fire & brimstone or you have that feel- good walking on sunshine stuff.
    We need God's word fully and completely. The good, and the bad, all of it.
    There must be a special room in hell for all those preachers who are leading God's sheep astray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Regina...they either have a special room or their key won't fit when they get there...it is only the uncompromising Gospel that will help us get to heaven; anything else won't do it for us. I pray God will send a 'true' angel to recover those lost sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want a "don't worry be happy" sermon because I know that it will only make me feel good for a little while. I need food (scripture) to rely upon at all times, especially during the hard times. As I've grown in Christ, I've come to appreciate the sermon more than I do the music. A good message makes me go home and study it even further, and disucss it with my friends and family. So for me, its scripture over hype.

    By the way, thanks for visiting me on my blog. Your words encouraged me to continue blogging. I still have alot to learn on how to add certain things.

    Also, re: your son, I was a defense attorney at one time, and it was common to see mothers especially come into hearings to support their sons. Its normal for you to love and support your son because he is your son. But sometimes, you do have to show him tough love in order for him to get his act together. Continue to pray. You can't hold yourself responsible for the things he CHOSE to do.

    Oh yes, I am adding you to my blog roll. I love your website and how you keep it updated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Regina,
    Thanks for your comment, that gospel of have it your way is dangerous to our souls.


    @Loveable,
    Thanks for your comment, I believe God is raising up somebody, somewhere to bring His lost sheep back to the fold.

    @tryexcellence,
    Thanks for your commet, I agree we need something to stand on during the hard times. I believe that is what got our fore parents over
    life 's bumps.

    I like your blog, and your writing style is so nice.


    Thanks for the advice about my son Iam learning to let go and let be.

    I have added you to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That split gospel is a dangerous thing. You have hell fire & brimstone or you have that feel- good walking on sunshine stuff.
    We need God's word fully and completely. The good, and the bad, all of it.
    There must be a special room in hell for all those preachers who are leading God's sheep astray.

    ReplyDelete