.

Google+ Followers

Followers

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Praise & Worship (Thursday ) Dancing For Jesus.


Praise dance is a form of worship that seeks to articulate the word and spirit of God through the body. Though it is far from a new phenomenon — in biblical times, dancing was embraced during celebrations and worship — it was forced out of the Christian church during the Reformation, and has been fully welcomed back only in the past 20 or so years. In recent years praise dance has become an increasingly popular part of church services across the country, particularly among America’s growing Pentecostal movement, and it has emerged in small cities , where experts say one in 10 people is Pentecostal.

Depending on the history and denomination of a particular church, a praise dance may be a choreographed balletic piece in the middle of a service or an improvised riff in the aisles, and the practice draws from a hybrid of movement vocabularies, from jazz to modern to African. Many praise dance ministries also include American sign language to sign out scripture during a song.

more and more churches have added praise movement ministries to their worship services. Here are some of the moves blessing, honor, glory, wisdom and dominion.
For blessing, both hands start at the mouth and the arms then fan out in a sun shape; for power, arms are raised equal distance apart with fists clenched; for wisdom, fingers touch the temples and come to meet in the center; and so on. Some Churches do not allow this. Some pastors view this as a form of entertainment. What do you think should this be welcome in the House Of God?
Please Share it! :)

Widgets

Show Comments: OR

6 comments :

  1. I personally do not believe praise dancing belongs in the church, largely because we are in the New Testament, and there is no congregational instruction to practice praise dancing. Jesus did not invite it, neither did the apostles practice it, or encourage it. Apostle Paul gave instructions on worship services that did not include praise dancing. A time of worship in a gathering should include everyone, not everyone watching a select few. Even in the book of Revelation, with scenes of heaven, there is no one dancing before the throne. But I know that I am in the minority, and I have love toward those who do practice it. I just don't think it should be practiced, but I'm not condemning those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rodney thanks for your comment. I don't think there is any thing biblical wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of Rodney's arguments is that a time of worship should include everyone and not just people watching a few others. Than how do you feel about a choir singing? When a choir sings people are just watching and listening. As a prophetic dancer myself and I say prophetic because I know that I am led by God to dance. I do not dance unless God leads me. I pray to God for the songs that I dance too and I pray to God for the moves that I make. I allow God to lead me when I dance and I know that he is glorified. But as a dancer myself the issue that I have with others who do not support dance is that there arguments always contradict other things that are done within the church. People say that we should not dance because dancing is of the world, but the lord created all things...so just because the world takes something and perverts it, are we as children of God supposed to just sit down and give it up because the world has perverted that thing. I do not think so. I will continue to pray about dancing and allow the spirit to lead me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all i have to say is that the bible said dance like david danced and thats what i am going to do

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of Rodney's arguments is that a time of worship should include everyone and not just people watching a few others. Than how do you feel about a choir singing? When a choir sings people are just watching and listening. As a prophetic dancer myself and I say prophetic because I know that I am led by God to dance. I do not dance unless God leads me. I pray to God for the songs that I dance too and I pray to God for the moves that I make. I allow God to lead me when I dance and I know that he is glorified. But as a dancer myself the issue that I have with others who do not support dance is that there arguments always contradict other things that are done within the church. People say that we should not dance because dancing is of the world, but the lord created all things...so just because the world takes something and perverts it, are we as children of God supposed to just sit down and give it up because the world has perverted that thing. I do not think so. I will continue to pray about dancing and allow the spirit to lead me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rodney thanks for your comment. I don't think there is any thing biblical wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete